Circulation in foot

Welcome Forums Community Forum Circulation in foot

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #741 Reply
    Eileen

Hi—I had a schatzker IV with ORIF on March 24–8 screws and a plate, and grafting. I am 6.5 weeks out, still NWB, in a brace. I am 51, was fairly active prior to injury. Currently I have about 90-95 flexion to 5-10 extension. I have been told that my pedal pulses are similar bilaterally. My knee is still quite tender and I need to ice frequently for swelling, and the swelling definitely affects the ROM. I have a few questions, and would really love some answers! 1). How long is “normal” (how many weeks) to need to keep leg elevated (like all day)? 2). Does anyone else have a problem with foot turning BLUE after standing up for only about 2 minutes? 3). When can I expect this circulation problem to improve? Thanks for any input—this forum is very helpful!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #809 Reply
      Danielle

I also started wearing gradual compression hose when I was partial weight bearing. I had so much swelling in my foot and ankle that it was limiting my gait. I also employed many massage techniques to help that fluid move. My PT suggested Lymphatic drainage and I also liked cupping massage. He said that the swelling was old and it just needed help moving out. Once the swelling was better my foot was much more stable to apply pressure and the ROM in my ankle was better which helped my stride

There are also simple how to videos on line to show how to do lymphatic drainage on yourself

• #769 Reply
      Eileen

Thank you Kate!! Nice to know I am not an unusual case!

• #754 Reply
      Kate_P

Eileen – you will need to keep elevating and icing as long as you are NWB. As soon as you start PWB, you will see an improvement in circulation, which will recirculate the fluids in your leg and bring down some of the swelling. When you go FWB, then you engage all of the leg muscles and that really helps push the fluids and bring down the swelling. And yes, my foot turned purple at first every time I put it down. That problem also resolved itself with FWB. Your exhaustion is something a lot of us complain about. It takes a LOT of energy (and calories) to heal a broken leg! So, everything you are experiencing is pretty typical.

• #742 Reply
      Eileen

P.S. I have never experienced a fracture before….is it considered “normal” to be completely exhausted around midafternoon—even though I have not returned to work yet? How about sudden bouts of extreme hunger?

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Circulation in foot
Your information: