First steps?

Welcome Forums Community Forum First steps?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #2035 Reply
    Christina

What were everyone’s first steps like? What kind of feeling or lack of feeling did you have in your foot?

And…

Did anyone do further damage to their knee after taking those first steps, or was it just another upward step in recovery?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #6329 Reply
      Lesley

What does this have to with tibial plateau fracture? If you insist on posting spam, you could at least learn to spell! I believe the central topic is MEMORY!

• #6320 Reply
      Majlinda

National Memory Screening DayFree, confidential meromy screenings for anyone concerned about meromy loss and early Alzheimer’s disease detection and intervention, sponsored by Visiting Angels in cooperation with the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.WHEN:Tuesday November 13 2012Noon 4pmWHERE:Avalon Missionary Church. 1212 Lower Huntington Rd. Fort Wayne IN 46819INFO:National Memory Screening Day is an annual initiative of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA). Visiting Angels is proud to be a partner in this important first step in finding out if someone has a meromy problem, and in helping patients and families become aware of the resources and assistance that is available.While a meromy screening is not a substitute for a consultation with a physician, it can help to determine whether additional testing is warranted. With as many as 5.1 million Americans living with Alzheimer’s disease, and many more with mild cognitive impairment and dementia, early detection and intervention can be critical to making informed decisions for greater health and quality of life.For more information on meromy screening and resources to assist with ageing in place, cognitive impairment, mild dementia, or Alzheimer’s disease, contact Visiting Angels at 260-482-CARE (2273).

• #6298 Reply
      Elin

Hola recien lo deacsrgo, lo provare para luego decir como me fue, pero les adelanto que esto de los softwares es muy importante para el desarrollo de los universitarios y no la porqueria de esos ingenieros que ensef1an a lo antiguo, es decir solo teoria

• #6274 Reply
      Rayonna

Do you have more great arcielts like this one?

• #4167 Reply
      Cheyenne

Hi I’m 24 and I have a type 1 TPF and broke both sides of my ankle and dislocated my hip(all on the same leg) and tore my tenders that keep the tibia and fibia to gether in a car a car accident October 24th. I’ve been scared/excited of walking again since I heard from my dr that I could possibly start after January 12 (I go back to see him that day). I’ve put little weight on my leg nothing crazy. i just can’t wait to not need a walker!!!

• #3594 Reply
      Sue H

Thank you ,Eileen, for your post. I already feel so much better to be moving into the next phase of recovery. I hope to be dancing by Christmas!
      Best wishes, Sue

• #3585 Reply
      Eileen

Sue,

I am not a PT, but I can share what I did with guidance from my PT. I began by resting the foot on the floor and rubbing it over a tennis ball to get back some normal feeling. I used two crutches, and began by just touching my foot on the ground and then gradually putting more and more weight on my injured leg. Be careful to walk as normally as possible. That is, avoid limping because it will hurt your hip and back.

I hope you are soon dancing with joy.

Eileen

• #3556 Reply
      Sue H

I’m 6 weeks post surgery and was told yesterday that I can start pwb with the aim of walking unaided in 6 week’s time. But how do I do it? Surgeon said to use 2 crutches then 1 ( the opposite one to poorly leg) and I have also been referred for physio. Any advice in the meantime would be gratefully received! Thank you.

• #2143 Reply
      marion gibbins

push push and push for a physiotherapists for at least a month ,they have the aftercare knowledge and correct equipment for you ,a pool is an added bonus which brings you along quickly

• #2131 Reply
      marion gibbins

no need to worry about meds as I am still under the Physio Hospital care system infact am now classed as an out patient ,top French cyclists ,swimmers ,yatchsmen and Formula 1 drivers go there so in in one respect I was”lucky” and it is all free ,or rather on my medical insurance ,so no time limit .130 bed and 60 out patients 3 pools and about 50 qualified staff of all generations .Although I have found that the ols school go for the no gain without pain method my younger therapists goes for a gentler approach.

• #2116 Reply
      Lisa

Thanks for sharing, Karen Lou.

I have been non weight bearing since my accident May 13. I hope that with my next doctor appointment this will change.

Although I want to walk and counting down to that day, I, too, fear what it may be like. Pain? Unable to support my weight? Not being able to move my knee like I should for an easy gait?

I never heard of this injury until I had it, and it has been a life altering event for me.

I will use your advise to begin walking conservatively until the “kinks” are worked out.

Thanks!

• #2115 Reply
      Karen Lou

I was NWB for a little over 2 months, then-25% for a week, 50% for a week and then the 30th of June-FWB. The first few steps were a little scary- would it hurt? Would my leg support my weight, but, I was able to walk with minimal discomfort and minimal support from a cane. But, I over did it and that same day-PAIN! I was using the walker before the day was out, and for the next couple days. I didn’t do any damage (other than my pride), I just tried to do too much too soon. So, I learned, slow and steady. I’ve been doing very well since, have been back to work for about 6 weeks. Still have to stop and think first thing in the morning when I get out of bed, let the leg adjust to being vertical and take the first few steps real slow. But, I’ve been pleased with my recovery, have to work harder on my ROM and get the knee bend up to 110-120%- right now, just over 95% or so, but it hasn’t bothered me, I know it will get better. But, I’m telling you, that has been the toughest 2-3 months of my life. I’d broken my knee cap about 6 years ago (same leg as TPF), had surgery and 3 screws put it and that was easier than this is. So, just remember, take your time and don’t push it, start with a few dozen steps and work your way up. I wish you much success with your recovery.

• #2080 Reply
      Christina

I guess I’m still trying to find that strength. For now, seven weeks in, I’m still just hugely frustrated and angry at the way things have been handled.

And to deal me another blow, I found out my second opinion OS has me scheduled for an appointment on October 1 🙁 Just about made me cry when I heard that, as I was expecting something much, much sooner.

But re: the Incredible Hulk, I feel that way on my crutches. The first few weeks I was on them, I was EXHAUSTED going a quarter of a block. Now, I feel okay getting on the streetcar with them and going further distances (up to three quarters of a kilometre, maybe more), and half expect to burst out of my shirt in a green, muscled fit of strength.

• #2078 Reply
      Eileen

Christina,

As I think back, the anger seemed to give me energy to work through the things that seemed too big to manage. (The Incredible Hulk theory?)

Eileen

• #2066 Reply
      Lisa

12 weeks in the hospital is certainly a long duration. Will you miss your medical provides when you leave?

• #2064 Reply
      marion gibbins

I was “lucky” in that a an excellent physio hospital is just 8 mins from where I live . But not from where I had my accident .I am being discharged tomorrow after 12 wks in hospital and then go in every day as a day patient for physio and pool.I was not allowed into the pool until the operation scars were fully gone and I could wamk in a frame ,logistics of pool and changing room. I now walk daily on crutches ,have 2 hrs of physio both in pool ,weight bearing and execise bike .But still on loads of pain killers especially after new exercises and weight bearing exercises From reading this forum it seems everyone is having the same yet different experiences and that it is going to be a long haul to full mobility with the 50% chance of osteoporosis in the future .

• #2061 Reply
      Christina

I just feel so angry all the time, everyday, and I hate that. I don’t want to be angry, and I hate what this injury’s done: I can’t ride my scooter, I can’t go on my bicycle, my day job has slowed down and I’m afraid of losing my contacts, something as simple as grocery shopping now requires someone else, and taxi cabs take advantage of me almost every single time. What I would give to just be able to walk!

I know you’re right and that it will get better, and I do feel a bit better, but not as much as I’d like to. I suppose what I’m thankful of is not feeling so foggy-headed now that I don’t take painkillers anymore. And my digestive system is a lot happier, too!

• #2057 Reply
      Eileen

Christina,

Anger is part of the grieving process. It all seems so unfair. Yet, it will get better. It does get better. By the time you read this, I hope you are feeling ever so much… better.

(If you have a stretch band and/or light weights, try aggressively working anything you can without injuring your injury.)

Eileen

• #2048 Reply
      Lisa

Thank you.

I feel like there have been moments this website has been the only thing keeping me sane. TPFs are not that common, so I have no one in my immediate area to talk to face to face. And I do get rather tired of hearing people who have no clue what it was/is like to nearly lose a leg and be confined to either bed, wheelchair, or PT visit tell me the polite supportive things that social graces dictate, although I fully understand their hearts are in a noble and truly giving place.

Yes, you are right. I see the light at the end of this tunnel.I am almost to the point of being able to walk!

• #2044 Reply
      Lesley

Hi Lisa,
      My tpf is nowhere near as bad as yours although I am only 3 weeks out of surgery and totally NWB like you. I could feel your sadness in your post and just wanted to let you know someone was thinking of you even though we do know each other. 15 weeks is an age but you have done it.
      Lesley ( UK)

• #2041 Reply
      Christina

I have a Type V, which the resident had me think was a Type II. I get downright piased, not even sad, about not walking normally. Fuck, I just want to cast off these arm sticks and go!

I was in a hugely contemplative mood — http://christina-on-wheels.blogspot.ca/2014/08/the-things-you-learn.html?m=1 — and ended up having a beer too many and feeling sorry for myself. Fuck all this injury. It sucks!

• #2040 Reply
      Lisa

NWB completely.

Not only did I have a Type 6 TPF, I dislocated my knee and had a vertical tibia shaft fracture that separated my tibia just under the knee down to 2 inches above my ankle.

My doc said the bones needed complete healing before I could risk weight bearing of any type. So I haven’t a clue how my leg and foot will feel or react to walking demands.

I get so sad when I think of it.

• #2039 Reply
      Christina

Hey Fred, what kind of pain did you have? Was it all over, or pins and needles, or like a chunk of your heel was missing?

Lisa, have you been weight bearing at all? Like, putting your foot down a bit and having it feel tingly? Or just no weight at all?

• #2038 Reply
      Lisa

Thanks.

I am hoping to take my first steps in about 2.5 weeks. That will place me at 15 weeks post-surgery. After all that has transpired I cannot imagine what to expect.

• #2036 Reply
      Fred

Horrible horrible pain in foot and ankle! Walking in the pool is great though. Can’t walk on ground yet but good results in the pool.

Viewing 24 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #2057 in First steps?
Your information:

Cancel