Is NWB for this long normal?

Welcome Forums Community Forum Is NWB for this long normal?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #1617 Reply
    Christina

I had my first appointment at the fracture clinic yesterday and learned I have to be in a cast for six weeks, NWB, followed by three MONTHS of NWB crutches. I can put my toes down for balance as long as there’s no weight applied, but this seems like an abnormally long period of time to be NWB. Has anyone else been told something similar by their doctor?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #1825 Reply
      hope

My docter at UK Hospital says they no longer use cast. I was in a brace for one week after surgery and then on walker or wheelchair for 3 months with no weight bearing. Starting this week to put 30 percent on leg at firrst. My leg still swells when on walker for very long.

• #1824 Reply
      hope

I wss only in a temporary brace for only one week after surgery and immediately given exercises to do for range motion.the doctor said that they no longer use cast for braces for long term healing

I was instructed to be in a wheelchair for a walker with non bearing weight on my leg for 3 months. I go back to the doctor this week at my 3 month is up this Wednesday. They told me that they would start meeting with 30% wait for a time then 60 and then 100

• #1821 Reply
      Ken

Christina,

I fell off my bicycle on 2013 July 05. I had a type V tpf and fractured both bones in my ankle. I was NWB for 14 weeks.

Here I am one year later, I have less than 90 flex in my knee due to scarring and still have stability issues. I am hesitant to have more surgery. On flat even surfaces I can get around OK without a crutch. Once I leave home or my workplace I use one forearm crutch for stability.

In the past 6 months I have managed to sprain my knee twice and have sporadic pain issues. For the most part I am OK with things they way they are. With my crutch I get around pretty well. Going off road, especially hilly areas are problematic. What I miss most is being able to do things with my kids. We used to bike ride during the summer (how I got hurt in the first place), now I cannot enjoy that anymore. I was looking into getting a handcycle, but holy cow are they pricey and my insurance will not cover one.

I wish you well in your recovery and always look on the bright side of life.

– ken

• #1798 Reply
      Eileen

Christina,

I am glad you are finding the positives within the very negative experience. [I should maybe not mention this, but…. smoking is really bad for bone repair…there, I said it.] I hope you continue to challenge yourself. I found that doing things for myself made a big difference in how I faced each day.

• #1788 Reply
      Christina

Hi all

This thing sucks in so many ways, and yet, in so many other ways, it brings new meaning to my life. Before, I got acclimatized to having everything made easy for me as I didn’t even understand. The simple acts of walking, opening doors, going up and down stairs, carrying a mug of coffee over to the couch – no problem, but I also felt like I wasn’t working much toward anything substantial.

Now, learning how to navigate the world on two arms and a leg, I get a sad-happy satisfaction from going through life. A major accomplishment is being able to crutch home for 650m. Normally, it’d take me only four or five minutes; now – and I’ve only done it once (so far!) I had to stop about six times, but by golly, I made it home without cabbing it.

Lisa, I completely agree with you about the body not meant to be this sedentary. I’m shocked at how out of shape I was before and am only noticing it now because I’m without one leg.

My bad habit is smoking, and I know it’s one of the worst things I can do for myself, TPF or not. But one of the great things is every time I go outside, it gives me an excuse to stretch out my bad leg and work on my flexibility. I’m so determined that nobody will wash my foot and put a sock and shoe on it, I keep stretching my hamstrings so I can reach my hand far past my toes. And getting into and out of the chair when I go out is another way for me to keep my quads as strong as can be, given the circumstances.

But I still hate this and I wish it never happened.

• #1768 Reply
      Eileen

Christina,

I had a 5cm depression on a Type II fracture that was repaired with a plate, 8 screws, and bone graft. I hope to run again, but without the surgery I would not be able to walk. Six weeks after my surgery, the brace is off, and the OS wants me to be able to put my full weight on the leg in four more weeks.

JayJay,

Overcoming fears with faith is keeping me sane.

Lisa,

Kind people kept reminding me that my shock and trauma would cause grief, so when I suddenly cried or got angry I treated that as “normal.” Also normal was to feel the need to move. So, in addition to the glute and quad flexes, I started lifting small hand weights and doing other exercises that did not disturb the injured knee. This helped me feel better and maintain some conditioning.

Hang in there. When the OS told me, last week, that I would be PWB, I danced on my crutches. Things get better.

All,

Keep believing and trusting. Thank you for sharing the road to recovery.

• #1736 Reply
      Lisa

The emotional roller coaster of this whole saga has been the most difficult thing for me to deal with. My moods change so rapidly sometimes. Because I was an athletic person before this, I can no longer get those exercise endorphines…playing havoc on moods.

I also strongly believe that the human body was never meant to be this sedentary, hence why it sounds like all of us speak to rapid mood shifts and/or depressed moods.

But sometimes I am amazed at how fast time is flying by, and I just need to hold in. I have about 1.5 months of NWB left (hopefully).

• #1729 Reply
      Christina

Lucky for you, Jay, at being at the weight-bearing stage. I’m envious of you, but hope it goes well for you. I forgot my x-ray paper at home, so I’ll have to ask the OS what category my fracture is.

I find that whatever rock you have to lean on to get you through, it makes the process a whole lot easier. For me, it’s that I was riding my scooter when I was injured and knowing my insurance will pay for anything OHIP won’t. I was sweating the costs building up, from the wheel air and prescription drugs to the rehab that’ll follow, but I know I’m okay in that regard.

• #1709 Reply
      Jay Jay

Hi Christinia, I am was non-weight bearing for three months because of the type of fracture of the TPF. – cat6. Being non-weight bearing for that long depends on the fracture. I just recently started partial weight bearing, and my OS said if I have any pain while PWB then ease up. Being non-weight bearing for this long, the leg starts to atrophy. I wish I knew early on is to to glut and thigh squeezes because that will help in the support when you do start walking.

One thing my OS always told me is to keep moving the ankle.

The only thing that gets me through day by day is God. Without him and my faith in him, I don’t know how I would get through these past months and days. Honestly, the 3-months for me flew by and I hope they fly by quick for you.

• #1691 Reply
      Jane

Hi Christine & Emma

I was also told 3 months at the outset so as you say, this is probably the “average” marker. I went back to see consultant on Wednesday and was delighted (though it’s also scary) to be told I could FWB and was ahead of schedule as bone was mending well and new bone growth good (that was a day short of 10 weeks post surgery). I can also lose the leg brace and am starting to walk using only 1 crutch for majority of the time though will take both when I’m out. I am feeling so much more positive now than I was this time last week when I was feeling quite down. As Christine said, emotions are all over the place but I do feel more “normal” now I can actually move around better. Hang on in there – we WILL get there – just hope that with physio etc I’ll be able to walk properly and without a limp………

• #1679 Reply
      Christina

The full range of emotions is what hits at the most unexpected times. I’ll go along in my day thinking I’m making good progress, only to almost start crying over the littlest thing, like bumping the toe on my injured leg when I’m going through a doorway. I accidentally put a bit of weight on my leg the other day when I spilled water on my wheelchair, and saw my future progress crumbling in front of my eyes.

I know it’s just the enormity of everything, and I’ve still not yet grasped just how severe this injury is, but it’s a little ridiculous just how flipped upside down my world has become.

Emma, may I ask what kind of fracture you had? I’m at the 50-50 point with surgery/no surgery, and I still haven’t made up my mind if I want to go through with it. I find equally good arguments on either side, but I’m just not sure which way to go.

• #1641 Reply
      Emma

I am 8 weeks post op with a plate and pins. They initially told me 3 mos nwb, but after xrays I was able to start with 25% weight bearing in 6 weeks, 50% 7 weeks. 75% 8 weeks.
      It’s going pretty well. Jane, I think they start out presuming 3 mos and then take a look at your xrays to refine it from there. I was horrified too when they said 3 months, but I showed enough bone growth so I could start early.

• #1634 Reply
      Jane

Hi Christina

Surgery for me was a necessity rather than a choice as my tibia was smashed and fibia broken and have had to have a plate and pins etc to fix it in place so have a 1.5cm scar on the outside of my knee and a 20cm one on the inside of my leg from knee down – not v pretty but have been told it’s a “good scar” and should heal well in time. I initially had a full leg cast when I went into hospital that they split to check on swelling (they couldn’t operate for 11 days as my knee was too swollen which was agony). After surgery I was put in a full leg cast again for 2 weeks then a full leg brace which is the one I’m still wearing – it was initially set to 30 degree ROM for 2 weeks then increased to 90 degrees. I had to keep it like that for 2 weeks until last visit when they gave me free ROM with it. My knee is still very swollen and it feels like there’s a tight band around my kneee which is restricting my ROM further.

The range of emotions I’ve been through is quite broad from self pity to fairly positive. I do get some comfort from other postings as it makes you realise there are lots of others out there. With my accident, I fell off a ladder onto concrete flags whilst helping my husband build a pergola in the garden so could have paralysed myself or worse………. that’s what I have to keep telling myself to try to stay positive :-).

Wishing you a good recovery

• #1633 Reply
      Christina

Hi Bryan: The cast sucks! I feel like my leg is the punchline to every movie comedy 🙁 Mentally, I’m able to take my mind off any itchiness and I finally found a position in the car that’s comfortable (plus, I got to personally design the cast and choose the colours), but I’m counting down the minutes until it comes off, even if just to put a new one on.

Hi Karen: At the next fracture clinic appointment, I’m going to ask just why it’s three months and if surgery’s possible a better alternative. It’s a comminuted intra-articular TPF with 6mm depression, and the fibula doesn’t line up with the femur on the CT scans — it sticks out to the side of it.

Hi Lisa: Gosh, until September at least! My cousin very kindly pointed out to me that I’ll be non-walking until Christmas — great news to hear, eh? And it can be so frustrating to not put weight on it so the bone can heal, and I’ve even dreamt of walking normally, which doubly sucks.

Hi Jane: In your case, was surgery a necessity or something you chose? The doctor told me I’m 50-50 in needing surgery or not. If you chose surgery, was it because it offered a more efficient healing process? And did you have the leg brace before and after surgery, or was that a “reward” for your leg getting better? Did you ever have a full-leg cast, too? I like your analogy about the pane of glass, by the way — great visual.

• #1632 Reply
      Jane

Hi Christina

I had my accident 28 April and still am not FWB (was type VI and needed surgery – I’m due back to the surgeon this week and have been PWB for past 3.5 weeks (when I asked exactly what this means, was told to imagine you were stepping on a pane of glass = not very much!) All injuries are as individual as we are so there isn’t such thing as “normal” for our recovery. I’ve found this journey very frustrating at times but try to look at how far I’ve come in 11 weeks. I’ve got a Breggs brace that I can remove when resting and sleeping but the most frustrating thing by far for me (apart from not being able to drive for so long) is not being able to carry things except in carrier bags etc ;-).

Keep your chin up, I’m sure we’ll get there. Good to have a site like this as it helps to know that you’re not on your own.

All the best, Jane

• #1625 Reply
      Lisa

I had my accident that resulted in my tpf type 6 on May 13.

I have been NWB since then and WILL be until at least the top on September when I see my ortho surgeon again.

With any tpf, the bones need to be completely healed because that area of the leg is one of the most important weigh bearing points in the body. If the tpf is not completely ready for the body’s weight, well…you can imagine.

• #1621 Reply
      Karen Lou

How badly is your fracture, did you need surgery? My fracture is a Type 3- non-displaced and no surgery needed. My doctor didn’t cast it, just a large foam brace. Was NWB for 2 months, then went to partial weight bearing over the course of 3-4 weeks, don’t remember for sure. Fracture happened on April 3rd, and I was FWB starting on the 30th of June. But, that does sound like too long a time.

• #1619 Reply
      Bryan

I’m in cast for 6 weeks. Doc didn’t mention how long nwb after that. Seems long though. How are you dealing with the cast?

Viewing 17 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #1632 in Is NWB for this long normal?
Your information:

Cancel