Surgery or No Surgery?

Welcome Forums Community Forum Surgery or No Surgery?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #1680 Reply
    Christina

I have my second appointment at the fracture clinic this upcoming Monday, and so far, I’ve been 50-50 in terms of needing/not needing surgery. I’ve had a week to go over both options, and I’m still not any closer to deciding what I want to do.

Has anyone been in a similar situation where surgery may or may not be a possibility, and the decision was more or less in their hands? What did you do?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #5326 Reply
      Mickey

I haven’t been in your situation and never heard of the doc having the patient making the decision. I’ve worked in an OR as a nurse for many years. If I had to decide wether or not to have surgery I’d opt not to. Ask for a list of pros and cons on both sides. I just can’t stand laying around being so uncomfortable

• #5216 Reply
      Anaheim Ducks iPhone 6 Plus Cases Jersey Stripe

Some truly select posts on this web site , saved to bookmarks .
      Anaheim Ducks iPhone 6 Plus Cases Jersey Stripe http://www.uju.com/images/Anaheim-Ducks-iPhone-6-Plus-Cases-Jersey-Stripe-0438.html

• #5215 Reply
      Nashville Predators iPhone 5C Cases Argyle

Great write-up, I’m regular visitor of one’s site, maintain up the nice operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.
      Nashville Predators iPhone 5C Cases Argyle http://www.wyk.co.kr/love/Nashville-Predators-iPhone-5C-Cases-Argyle-9111.html

• #1840 Reply
      Christina

I would have dearly loved to have had no cast on. They were concerned about stability and weight bearing, but heck — if healing means not putting any weight on it, I won’t be putting weight on it. And if I slip or fall and do end up putting weight on it, I’ll risk that. I miss the knee brace.

• #1826 Reply
      hope

My doctor at UK Medical facility is considered an expert on tibia plateu surgery advised me that they no longer use casts and send u home with with range of motion exercises. OF COURSE THIS MAY BE DEPENDENT ON THE SEVERITY OF THE. BREAK.

• #1787 Reply
      Christina

The verdict is…

No surgery!!

I saw the OS this past Monday and he was happy with how the fractures are healing, and I don’t have to go back for another five weeks.

I’m relieved, of course, as not having to get cut open is fantastic news. But in a way, it’s thrown me for another loop because I had 10 days to mentally prepare for surgery and now it’s in a different direction.

This TPF is far from emotionally easy, to put it mildly.

• #1769 Reply
      Eileen

Cristina,

Although I responded on a different thread, I will add this. Nothing prepared me for the agony of surgery. You will need a lot of help for at least one or two weeks after the surgery. That said, I am so glad I was able to get a good surgeon who put my leg back together so that I may one day again do the activities that I love.

• #1730 Reply
      Christina

The cast has to be on for another five weeks, but it’s 50-50 at this point. My fracture is comminuted with a 6mm depression, and my (fractured) fibula juts out instead of aligning with my femur.

When the prospect of surgery was first brought up seriously, I felt like I was sucker punched and the severity of the injury set in more. But now that I’ve had over a week to process it, I’m feeling more comfortable with the idea, especially if it’ll produce better long-term results.

• #1707 Reply
      Jay Jay

Christina, sounds like surgery was not needed. That is always good. I hope your recovery goes well and everything that needs to mend, mends. How long do you have to be in the cast?

• #1697 Reply
      Christina

Lol it’s too late for that, already have a full leg cast on me :/

• #1692 Reply
      Bryan

Just dont let them put a cast on you

Viewing 10 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #1769 in Surgery or No Surgery?
Your information:

Cancel