TPF Questions??

Welcome Forums Community Forum TPF Questions??

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #4171 Reply
    Emily

Over the summer I experienced a tibial plateau fracture. Lets just say this website gave me a big relief. The fracture was so small that it was almost impossible to see it on an x-ray and I had to get and MRI. The doctor told me that it would naturally heal on its own, so from August until October I continued in my normal everyday life. However the pain did not subside and was made NWB for six weeks with no surgery then six weeks of PT. However I just finished the six weeks of PT a few weeks ago and began participating in sports again(soccer) as I was completely cleared to do so. Since then my knee has hurt as badly as it did before I went on the crutches and at the time of the original injury. I am wondering if the fracture could be a nonunion because it failed to heal in the first place. Secondly if it is a nonunion what would be the treatment because the fracture is so long. Finally would this recovery be something that would effect my ability to perform with a Marching Band by August? Thanks!

Emily

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #5482 Reply
      Emily

Hi Tammy, I did have an MRI done because they originally though i tore my lcl so they checked all the ligaments and it showed nothing. I’m just wondering what the best treatment option would most likely be going forward if it is a nonunion. Would they actually want to perform surgery because the fracture was so small?

Emily

• #5292 Reply
      Eileen

Emily,

After six months, I have been blessed with a good outcome on a bad injury. I suggest that you find a well-qualified orthopedic who is willing to help you get the best outcome possible. Keep reading and researching so that you can advocate for yourself. I wish you good healing.

Eileen

• #5209 Reply
      Tammy

Emily,
      I would first get a second opinion, at the very least they should do some orthoscopic surgery to find out your pain that may not be seen with MRI or xray. One thing that is typical with this type of fracture is a torn meniscus, however only your doctor would know what to recommend. Certainly something is going on, and you should not be dealing with that type of pain to continue your normal activity. The whole point of recovery is so your normal life can resume with no pain.
      Tammy

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #5209 in TPF Questions??
Your information:

Cancel