Two tibial plateau fractures :(

Welcome Forums Community Forum Two tibial plateau fractures :(

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #1455 Reply
    Beth

Hi everyone,
    I just came across this site while researching my injury. I fell hiking a little over a week ago & ended up in the ER being diagnosed with 2 fractures in my tibial plateau. One located on the front & one on the side. One of the fractures they said was minimally displaced but they did not specify on the second fracture. I was sent home with a knee immobilizer & crutches & referred to an OS. I’m scheduled to have an MRI and I’m really nervous about what they’ll find. The ER doctor told me that she was worried I may have torn ligaments because I didn’t actually hit my knee when I fell & as I was falling I felt a pop in my knee. The ER doctor said it was possible that the ligaments tore & took pieces of bone with them causing the fractures. I couldn’t find any information on this type of scenario. Has anybody else experienced 2 fractures in their tibial plateau? I’m just trying to gather all the information I can. Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #1570 Reply
      Eileen

Hi Beth,

Even though I am NWB, a physical therapist gave me exercises that are safe for my injury but help me maintain some strength and flexibility in the rest of my body. I hate sitting out the summer, but I am doing my best to be careful and let the leg heal.

• #1472 Reply
      Beth

Thanks Eileen! I’m really hoping that I get lucky & don’t require surgery. I’m preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. I was referred to some of the best OS providers in our area. They’ve done surgery on both my mother & my brother so I have complete confidence in the office I was referred to. I know that even if surgery is not required I’ve still got a rough road ahead during recovery. It’s a given that PT will be necessary. I can’t even bend my knee right now which I’m not supposed to be trying anyway. It’s just really frustrating because all I can do is sit on the couch & watch TV. I’m used to being active.

• #1468 Reply
      Eileen

Beth,

I am so sorry about your injury. There are six levels of fracture–you may be a level six. Get the best surgeon you can find and discuss your situation in detail–look at the images. Three different surgeons told me that my bone had to be fixed first before any other damage would be assessed. However, if you have extensive damage that involves displaced bone, your surgeon may need to fix the other damage when he/she does the bone repair. God bless you on your journey. Eileen

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #1472 in Two tibial plateau fractures :(
Your information:

Cancel