Reply To: Tpf full leg cast

Welcome Forums Community Forum Tpf full leg cast Reply To: Tpf full leg cast

Christina

Hi Bryan

It was a full-leg cast for me, too. At first, I had the knee immobilizer on and wasn’t too happy about it, but at least I could take it off and wash myself. And then when the medical staff told me I may have to get a full-leg cast, I want to slap their faces with a leather glove and challenge them to duels, and then tell them how ridiculous they were, that I absolutely would not submit to a full-leg cast.

I submitted to a full-leg cast.

What I found worked really well for me was taking painkillers. They gave me Percocet; at first, I was really hesitant to take them unless my leg was in throbbing pain because I’d heard how addictive they are, and it doesn’t take me much to get hooked on anything. But one doctor explained to me the difference between taking painkillers for pleasure and taking them to alleviate pain, so I’ve been keeping on a regular schedule. I know when I take one, it takes about an hour to kick in, so I time the onset with whatever I have to do so I’m a little numbed for more physical exertion. But I’ve also found that when I’m in the thick of a dose, it’s not a good idea for me to physically exert myself too hard, otherwise I end up a sweaty mess with a glazed look on my face.

If your leg is aching that much, sometimes, it may just be a case of having to take painkillers more regularly. I’m not crazy at all about the idea of popping a Percocet every 4-6 hours, but I’m not in pain all the time, either, and I can manage a happy portion of my daily activities.

Christina