Reply To: First steps?

Welcome Forums Community Forum First steps? Reply To: First steps?

Karen Lou

I was NWB for a little over 2 months, then-25% for a week, 50% for a week and then the 30th of June-FWB. The first few steps were a little scary- would it hurt? Would my leg support my weight, but, I was able to walk with minimal discomfort and minimal support from a cane. But, I over did it and that same day-PAIN! I was using the walker before the day was out, and for the next couple days. I didn’t do any damage (other than my pride), I just tried to do too much too soon. So, I learned, slow and steady. I’ve been doing very well since, have been back to work for about 6 weeks. Still have to stop and think first thing in the morning when I get out of bed, let the leg adjust to being vertical and take the first few steps real slow. But, I’ve been pleased with my recovery, have to work harder on my ROM and get the knee bend up to 110-120%- right now, just over 95% or so, but it hasn’t bothered me, I know it will get better. But, I’m telling you, that has been the toughest 2-3 months of my life. I’d broken my knee cap about 6 years ago (same leg as TPF), had surgery and 3 screws put it and that was easier than this is. So, just remember, take your time and don’t push it, start with a few dozen steps and work your way up. I wish you much success with your recovery.