Reply To: User Stories

Welcome Forums Community Forum User Stories Reply To: User Stories

Tom Arnold

Hi Lisa and Lesley, thanks for your replies. I’m really glad I found this site – like you said, it’s nice to be able to communicate with other people who have first-hand experience of what you are going through.
I can’t believe the number of people who have serious injuries (tpf and other fractures) due to their dogs! And some people think paragliding is dangerous!
Seriously though, I am amazed at how long the recovery process is – I always thought of fracture injuries as being 6 weeks in a cast and then pretty much straight back to normal. Bit of a shock to the system all this. Still, I’m feeling positive about it all and I’m willing to be patient and work hard so that I can go back to life enjoying time with my lovely family (I have a wonderful wife and two daughters aged 3 and 5) and doing all the things I like to do, mainly flying, spearfishing, and surfing. I need my knee back!
The occupational therapist visited today and she has sorted me out with a walking frame to use around the house (much more practical than crutches as I can use one or even both hands to do things while standing so I can help my wife out a bit more), a toilet raiser, a helping-hand grabber thingy, a leg-lifter (soooo useful), and a wheelchair so that I can get around more outside. The wheelchair will arrive next week and I’m really looking forward to getting outside and getting some exercise – I’m a very very outdoorsy kind of person.
Life’s feeling pretty good considering what has happened. I just need to make sure my wife stays positive; I think she’s feeling very down about it all. Not so much about the flying (she flies with me on the tandem and loves it) but more about life in general and what hard work it is for her at the moment. So I’m looking forward to using the walking frame to be able to help out more with things like washing-up and cooking (I love cooking, and can’t wait to get back in the kitchen).
So thanks for your kind welcome to the site, and I look forward to reading and contributing more to the forums.
Tom.