Reply To: running

Welcome Forums Community Forum running Reply To: running

Amanda

Hi

In August last year I broke my leg in a motorbike accident. I compacted the cartilage in my knee which was built up with synthetic bone, had a spiral fracture through the tibia and fractured the tibial plateau (type 6). All the surgeons I’ve seen have been very impressed with the damage I did! It required two operations (I had compartment syndrome) and now has a plate and 14 screws attached. I was on crutches for 3 months with no weight bearing and in a leg brace so was unable to bend my knee for that time.

At the time of the accident I was training for a half marathon. I’ve been a runner for about 15 years. Whenever I asked if I would be able to run again, the OS suggested I consider swimming or bike riding.

One year on and I’m running twice a week. Nothing like I used to be doing but it’s a start. It’s taken an enormous amount of hard work and dedication to strength and stability exercises to get this far with some ups and painful downs along the way. I’ve searched endlessly on the internet for information about running after a TPF but haven’t found anything. I think people just don’t do it. I know I’m taking a risk by running and will probably need a knee replacement much sooner, but for me it just wasn’t an option not to at least try. I don’t expect I’ll ever run a half marathon again and always on softer surfaces with good shoes.

If you want to run again make sure you talk to your OS and physio and understand the risks you’re taking and then decide if they’re worth it for you.

Cheers
Amanda