Reply To: Recovery Update…It Just Goes On and On

Welcome Forums Community Forum Recovery Update…It Just Goes On and On Reply To: Recovery Update…It Just Goes On and On

Lesley

Hi Jeremy,
I have been weight bearing partially at first and then fully for about 6 weeks now. I have been hobbling around at home for 2 weeks without my walker and my walking is improving very slowly. I use the crutches outside mostly for confidence now and in case I slip. I am a teacher at a high school and I have been off this half term and I will probably have another month off after I have seen my surgeon this week. I am not fit enough or strong enough to walk from block to block or up and down stairs carrying bags of books and files. The school feels I will be a health and safety hazard at this moment in time!
The physio I have received on the NHS has been poor so I have begun seeing a private sports physio I have used before. He is good and I am confident I will improve my ROM with him. It is about 100 degrees now but still painful and stiff. I exercise a lot through the day and I use my exercise bike for about 15 minutes 3 to 4 times a day. That is definitely helping. I can still only climb the stairs one at a time as it hurts to try to climb properly. That could be next weeks target!
I may get back into school before Christmas for a week or two but this whole situation has given me a lot of time to reflect.
I lost my husband last year and I am 58 so I have decided to take early retirement so I can have some ME time. No more endless hours marking and preparing and stressful targets!
I genuinely believe it will take me about 6 months before I feel anywhere near back to normal so I am giving myself time. From what others have written on this forum, I think it is important to get good physio. It sounds like you need to improve that ROM as that will help you to walk. That was my conclusion about myself. I have some fluid around my knee and it is still bent as my extension still needs work. Hence the private physio.
I have also learned that patience is important and that no two tpfs are the same.
I wish you all the best with your recovery. I hope it goes well for you.
Lesley (UK)