Reply To: Removal of Hardware?

Welcome Forums Community Forum Removal of Hardware? Reply To: Removal of Hardware?

jim

Each story I read adds a little to my understanding and comfort with my decisions. I have read dozens, so now time to give back to the woodpile.

TPF and “probable” ligament damage (loose knee), torn meniscus 2/13, skiing accident. Had repair 5 days later, plate, putty and 8 large screws. Pretty typical from what I have read. 3 months NWB and I was compliant–foot did not touch the ground for 3 months. Nasty muscular atrophy to affected quad, hammy and calf. Almost no visible muscle. Began rehab/PT for a few months then continued on my own, lots of clicking and gravelly noises and no stability or strength. FF a year and x-rays showed bone healed enough to do whatever I could. Me: “Doc, can I…” Doc: I don’t know, can you?” Pain in area of plate when I increased load through leg which so decided to have metal removed. Easy procedure, walking 24 hours later and rehabbing the following week. 2 months later hiking 3 miles on hilly ground 4x/week. Now I am skipping rope, rowing, elepticizing, skating. Pain at tib plateau area under patellar tendon but leg strength coming back.

LESSONS: 1. What looks grim WILL get better with time and hard work. 2. I am better off without the hardware, as I can put load through leg now with no pain to location of the place and screws. This should lead to greater ability to increase strength.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!!