Reply To: Ankle/foot pain weight bearing

Welcome Forums Community Forum Ankle/foot pain weight bearing Reply To: Ankle/foot pain weight bearing

Lesley

Hi Alison,
I am 6 months post surgery and still working on my recovery. You have to keep letting people know that this injury is a severe one and can take up to a year to get back to normal. My fracture is healing well and I am having an x Ray next week and a meeting with the surgeon to see for sure. In the UK, physio is hit and miss on the NHS so I pay privately and see a sports physio once every two weeks and he has got me back on my feet but I still cannot walk properly and use a stick out and about. Like you my pain is elsewhere – namely in my quads and hamstring. My muscles are very tight and I have to stretch a lot each day. After walking, my knee becomes very stiff and I have to stretch my hamstring by putting my foot on a kitchen chair and really stretching. Then I can move more easily. I use an exercise bike every day and have done for the last 3 months. I have increased the resistance but very slowly. I have just begun to climb stairs as I should rather than one at a time but I cannot come down properly. This injury has totally changed my life and I have taken early retirement as I could not return to teaching after the Summer. I have a plate and 6 screws in my left leg and that is uncomfortable and I am going to request its removal as soon as is possible. Patience and perseverance are the key words. Take your time and stick with it. You will get there aS everyone on this site will tell you. Let pain be your guide but try to stay positive in yourself – that is important. We are all different too and some people recover quicker than others. Some people have pain where others don’t. I thought I would be further on but I am not giving up and still exerciSing as much as I can. Each week there is a small improvement and I can do more. I am driving again – manual gearbox – that is no longer painful. I am looking after my grandson one day a week so please take heart. Stick with the physio. Those guys will get you there. I wish you good healing and sincerely hope things will improve soon for you.
Best wishes.
Lesley (UK)