Air travel following TPF

Welcome Forums Community Forum Air travel following TPF

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #3044 Reply
    Mark Farrar

hi, great site, some fantastic info.
    TPF six weeks ago (31 Aug), age 49, fairly fit and active, operated on 2 days after accident, plates and screws, in leg brace, doing PT, rom 105, no weight bearing currently, although I see my Orthopeadic this coming week when they will do X-ray
    We booked and paid for flights back to UK months ago (we live in NZ), we travel just before Xmas, haven’t seen my family for a few years, we fly 18 weeks after my fracture, economy, various transfers.. auckland, Toyko, Franfurt… was hard to get reasonable priced direct flights over Xmas period.
    Know I can ask for assistance at airports.
    My Orthopeadic consultant seemed 50/50 about travel a few weeks ago… Concern seemed to be about anything going wrong… Hopefully everything is going ok.
    Can appreciate dvt can be an issue.

Any perspectives?
    Tips
    Suggestions?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
    • #3058 Reply
      Mark Farrar

Thanks Christine. Wish I was a bit shorter sometimes, I am 6’5″

• #3050 Reply
      Christina

I had my TPF on July 3rd, flew 1,800km (2-ish hour flight) on September 26.

It was fine, and you’ll be fine. I’d ticked off the box for assistance, but didn’t ended up needing it and walked to the gate a-ok on my own.

The biggest thing I was concerned about was being able to bend my knee during the duration of the flight. Luckily, I’m only 5’2, so it was okay, and even going to the bathroom on the plane was fine. As for DVT, it’s not any bigger of a risk than it usually is. Just remember to keep flexing your legs and all the other stuff you’d do to keep the circulation going.

In terms of prep, do as much work as you can now. Bend that knee so it’s used to being in a sitting position, work on keeping your Achilles’ tendon, hamstring and sciatic nerve long and loose, and take anti-inflammatories with you, just in case of the pain.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Reply #3058 in Air travel following TPF
Your information:

Cancel