Back to the scene of the crime

Welcome Forums Community Forum Back to the scene of the crime

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #2541 Reply
    Christina

July 3rd was supposed to be like any other night: finish shooting a concert, ride home on my scooter, and then upload the photos. But a big piece of styrofoam got the better of me and my bike, and I ended up here with all of you lovely, supportive people.

Fast forward to last night when I rode past the scene of the accident for the first time on my acooter. My palms were sweaty for hours before but I knew I couldn’t spend the rest of my life avoiding that patch of the road.

And just like the night of my spill, there was a car turning right. I also had to navigate around two vehicles stuck in the intersection, which made me grit my teeth even worse.

I got through it and breathed a big sigh of relief…only to narrowly avoid get hit TWICE the rest of the way.

The most ironic part?

I was riding home from a motorcycle classroom safety course.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #2609 Reply
      Christina

The guys at the scooter shop told me the same, that I wouldn’t be coming anywhere close to my deductible.

I know this sounds silly, but I can’t decide which one would have had me more pissed: no damages to the bike but the TPF and everything was still covered by auto insurance, or no damages to me but thousands to the bike and insurance wouldn’t have covered it. Either way, I wouldn’t have been riding for a while.

• #2604 Reply
      Lisa

Hi.

I dented the shit out of the motorcycles primary casing, so that needs to be taken off and replaced, then the values need to be closely examined.

My husband knows good mechanics who assure me up and down and all over the place this fix won’t be that expensive, and truly I took the brunt of the pain.

• #2588 Reply
      Christina

hahaha My leg was the exact same way! The mornings were the roughest. I’d want to get up and just walk to the bathroom, but there were days when I’d have to just give in and use the crutches. What I found worked was just…walking. It felt weird and wonderful and shaky, but the desire to move overcame any physical instability.

And haha aren’t you right about the bikes! What kind of damage did you sustain on yours? The casing on my left rear indicator broke so the light hung by a cable, the front casing on the instrument panel/handlebars has a screw loose inside so it bumps up and down, and my brake lightbulb came loose, so I was riding around who knows how long with no brake lights or running lights. At night, too 0_o

• #2584 Reply
      Lisa

Yes. A baby horse is a good description of what I look like standing up and taking those first few minutes worth of steps. It’s almost like it takes about four minutes before my leg goes “Oh, what? We are walking? Is that what is going on here?” I also need to “think” about walking before getting out of bed, like a mental exercise to envision what the physical act of taking steps look like.

This injury and the consequences are so damned weird to me!

Isn’t it funny we both got so badly injured by those in the know say the machines we were riding look much better than we do?! HAHAHA

• #2577 Reply
      Christina

Thanks, Lisa. How long have you been walking/hobbling/getting around? I remember feeling like a colt when I first started on my feet, and mornings, my knee still feels pretty stiff in bed.

That’s amazing that your bike is still in pretty good condition. They’re so durable, aren’t they? I have a $500 deductible on my insurance, and the scooter shop said I wouldn’t come close to it, which is really nice. But having missed out on two months’ worth of riding, I’ll be on that thing until the snow comes heavily.

• #2547 Reply
      Lisa

Great post, Christina.

I have posted on this site how I crashed my motorcycle. That was in mid-May. I just started weight bearing and walking. Well, not walking, more like hobbling. It is a very clumsy activity filled a good amount of discomfort.

My motorcycle is in my garage and needs only a few hundred dollars of work to be up and running again. I get asked all the time if I will ride again. AT this point I don’t need to worry about it because I need to learn how to walk better, then winter will be here. So I have time to think about it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #2609 in Back to the scene of the crime
Your information:

Cancel