Just diagnosed with tpf

Welcome Forums Community Forum Just diagnosed with tpf

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #573 Reply
    David

Hello,

I suffered my tpf and was diagnosed this past Monday so I’m only three days in. The doctor sent me home in a brace and told me to come back the following Monday. I believe I have a non-displaced fracture but I also fractured my fibula. This site has been great! I was looking for a support group because all this time on the couch is wearing on me.

David

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #1642 Reply
      Lisa

Just diagnosed with TPF myself – I fell while climbing – about 30 feet. I really appreciate all of the information on this site!

• #1638 Reply
      Eileen

Hi Julie,

Have you looked at your own diagnostic images to see your injury for yourself? Does your insurance or some other factor prevent you from going to another orthopedic doctor? (I went to three before I found one I trusted to do my surgery.) If you can’t get better medical assistance, searching the links on this site or doing your own search may help.

• #1630 Reply
      Julie

Thank Heaven I spotted this site. I have been feeling so alone.
      I had a fall in late February and have only just been diagnosed with a non-displaced TPF (July). when I was taken to the hospital in February I was x-rayed and told I probably had a meniscus tear, they gave me crutches and told me to walk normally but to take some of the weight on the crutches to stablise me since my knee was collapsing under me. In May I went back to the Dr because I was in so much pain and still had lots of swelling. He sent me for an MRI which confirmed the meniscus tear and also a possible TPF, they recommended a CT scan. I had the CT in June which confirmed the TPF and my Dr just received the results last week. I am now on the waiting list to see an orthopaedic surgeon at the local hospital and to visit the fracture clinic. In the meantime I have been told nothing as to what to do, can I walk on it? Should I be elevating it? Do I wear a brace? Should I be driving my manual car? Nothing!
      I understand that in the grand scale of things mine is a relatively minor form of TPF but I am concerned that I have been walking around on it for the last 4 months. It is apparently healing but obviously not well.

• #1515 Reply
      Eileen

Joanna,
      I hope the therapy for your tendon helps with other issues too.
      Keep giving it your best.

• #1513 Reply
      Joanna

Thank you Eileen and Jo H.

I went for my two week check on Friday and now have a splint which allows 30 degrees rom.

My lovely grandson has given me his bean bag and it is a huge help. I am finding sitting easier and even managed to get in the car yesterday.

I now have to go for urgent physio as my Achilles’ tendon has contracted and my ankle has very limited movement.

I feel this is going to be a long recovery…………..

• #1476 Reply
      Jo H

Hi Joanna best way to get comfortable is to us a bean bag and try elevate your leg but support under the knee. I spent a lot of time sat on my firm bed using the bean bag or pillows to raise it. This helps with the swelling and also use pillows to rest leg on when sleeping. I too live in the uk, thank god for the NHS I say. I fractured mine TP 14 weeks ago, had surgery two days after accident to plate and graft smashed bits of bone. I have just come back from a two week holiday in the Algarve …..great moral booster. This was something I thought I would not be able to do. Had regular physio and start a hour gym session at the local hospital tomorrow, nervous but excited too. Once your brace off use ice pack to help with the swelling too. Good luck Jo

• #1475 Reply
      Jo H

Hi Joanna best way to get comfortable is to us a bean bag and try elevate your leg but support under the knee. I spent a lot of time sat on my firm bed using the bean bag or pillows to raise it. This helps with the swelling and also use pillows to rest leg on when sleeping. I too live in the uk, thank god for the NHS I say. I fractured mine TP 14 weeks ago, had surgery two days after accident to plate and graft smashed bits of bone. I have just come back from a two week holiday in the Algarve …..great moral booster. This was something I thought I would not be able to do. Had regular physio and start a hour gym session at the local hospital tomorrow, nervous but excited too. Once your brace off use ice pack to help with the swelling too. Good luck Jo

• #1469 Reply
      Eileen

Joanna,

My splint allows 0 to 90 degrees R.O.M. I was able to rotate my hip slightly to the outside and gently flex my knees while I let my good leg support my weight either straight-legged or bent kneed. Experiment carefully and know that the pain gets better day-by-day. God bless, Eileen

• #1467 Reply
      Joanna

June 9th I slipped climbing a gate, heard a pop as I landed and discovered in A&E that I had broken the top of my shin and the bottom of my knee cap. They operated four days later to pin and plate it back together and after ten days in hospital I have come home to my daughter’s house as I can’t do stairs due to the angle of my splint.

I have told I will be non weight bearing for at least six weeks and won’t be driving for at least three months. I usually live alone with my dogs, hens and ponies so obviously I am completely devastated.

The biggest problem I have at the moment is finding a comfortable position. I don’t want to spend all day in bed but find sitting very painful as it seems to pull on my leg. Anyone got any suggestions?

(I am 53 and in the UK)

• #1451 Reply
      Eileen

Lindsey, Choose your surgeon carefully. Make certain he or she has done a number of these surgeries and can explain what will be done with your fracture. After surgery, you will need someone to take care of you for about a week because you will be in a lot of pain and you will be mostly immobile to protect the fragile surgery. Call on friends, family, church or community groups and accept any help that is offered. The greatest encouragement I can offer is that you will begin feeling better a few days after surgery, and you may be able to function within the second week. Just keep going…it gets better.

• #1450 Reply
      Eileen

Norma,
      I hope you are doing okay. I have been in the land of unreality but am gradually adjusting to the idea that I am sitting down until mid-July at the earliest. I now have a rolling walker with a seat that allows me to carry things. Also, I am able to stand on one foot and sit when I need to.

• #1441 Reply
      Lindsay

I had a bad fall last week and in the ER was diagnosed with a type 2 tpf displaced! It’s killing me not being able to go to work because of the pain and I have 2 small children at home that I can’t take care of myself, I feel awful because my husband is just crazy busy and I can’t help! I go to the surgeon today for a follow up! They told me in the ER to expect surgery I’m hoping not but from what I am reading I am not going to be so lucky! And of course at the beginning of summer ugh!

• #1398 Reply
      Norma Donovan

Hi Eileen I have lost my summer too, I am post op 5 days from tpf surgery. Everyday is completely consumed with doing basic care. We are in for the long haul together. I am on non weightbearing for 10 weeks, keep in touch, Norma

• #1367 Reply
      Eileen

Keely, I also dismounted badly and have lost my whole summer. In addition to loving my horse, I love trail running (though I am much older than you). I am in a care facility awaiting ROM and rehab so that I can return to my home. Two weeks after the accident, I am finally thankful that I landed solidly on my leg and not my neck. I hope you and Lisa are surviving okay. I will share anything I learn.

• #1358 Reply
      Phyllis

Going out of my mind, five weeks after a hip replacement due to over extending yoga move mention I go back to wok and trip in a pot whole end up wit a TPF that was on April 22yesterday after my workman’s doc finally took an MRI tells me I tore my meniscus and possibly my ACL I want to scream

• #1330 Reply
      Lisa

Hello,
      I just read the comment above and decided to contribute. I was participating in the sport of mounted games. I came off my horse at speed and landed funny, hearing a big snap. I shattered the top of my tibia plateau. I had surgery the day after my accident. All happening Right at the beginning of my riding season. I am now stuck on a couch which is very hard for me. I am a very independent person and I had to move back home so someone could drive me to physio and doctors. The doctor said no walking for 3 month. I am doing aggressive physio and slowly my knee is beginning to bend again. It’s a very slow painfull process. They also told me the screws will have to be removed in about 10 months.
      This page is great for information and relative support!

• #1257 Reply
      keeley

Hi all. I am 35 and fractured my lateral tibial plateau while dismounting my horse.. Just an awkward landing ona knee that was already cartilage deficient. I’m three weeks post op and am going crazy! I am a very active person and sitting at home is killing me. Ruined my whole summer. My os says I may ride in three months… But I’m not counting on it. I’m frustrated BC of the lack of PT my OS had told me to do (really NOT do). Does anyone have advice? I know the fracture is very delicate right now..and besides plate and screws I have cadaver bone in my knee. So I know I have to be careful… But how can I just let my leg atrophy! What exercises have other people find safely_? Any riders out there please tell me.. Good things! I’ve been riding my whole life and can’t imagine not and or losing my horse. Sigh.

• #1186 Reply
      Eileen

I was injured a week ago and am scheduled for surgery in a few days. I have lost my summer of outdoor activities and have been told I will not run again. I am so grateful for this site.

• #811 Reply
      Danielle

Hi Liz,
      My heart goes out to you. As much as possible start flexing that knee. A lot of us didn’t do that and wished we would have. I wish I would have rolled up towels or sheets or anything to rest my leg on just to start stretching the ligaments and tendons around the knee and get my knee used to flexion
      I had a lot of set backs and road blocks but God had remained faithful throughout the process. I have had to lean on Him more then other people and things through this process.
      Keep looking forward!!!
      Danielle

• #749 Reply
      Liz

I was diagnosed with tpf on April 16 (injury April 15) and had a CT done yesterday, May 9. I go back to the doctor with the disc on May 12 so he can decide upon surgery. The time issue is due to this being a Worker’s Compensation issue, my knee was injured by the center doing a CT on the ankle I had fused December 2013 and it took them 2 1/2 weeks to decide to cover the knee.
      I seem to have a lot of things working against me, I still have to wear an ankle brace and currently have a straight leg knee brace that goes fro my upper thigh to the top of the ankle brace. They did tell me I could take the knee brace off a coupe of times a day to flex the knee CAREFULLY. I live in a rural location, no neighbors or friends to help but I do have a relative that cooks for me and drives me around. I can’t use crutches and a wheelchair won’t fit through the doors of my house so for most of the time I’m stuck in my bedroom/bathroom using a rolling walker to sit on and scoot with my good foot. Due to the type of tub and shower I have I can’t use either of them so I got those bath cloths to use, the problem is my waist-length hair. The walker has to go through my bedroom door folded so I need someone here to help. I also have 3 stairs to get to an outside door and then more steps. With the 2 braces I need help to get dressed
      This site has given me a list of questions for the doctor, I wish it hadn’t taken me so long to find it but here rural=no wifi and dial-up internet is soooo slow.
      I’m worried about my foot and ankle even more though since I can’t do many of the regular ankle exercises with it being fused.

• #645 Reply
      Kim Jarvis

Just diagnosed with TPF this past Friday. I went to the doctor to find out the results of my MRI, thinking I had torn my ACL or MCL I came out with you broke your leg. I am nonweight bearing right now and I go back to the doctor on the 5th to see if I can go back to work on light duty. It is a nondisplaced fracture. Can someone tell me what is the percentage rate that the fracture stay nondisplaced and not shift. I am having a hard time with the crutches and staying put which I am sure alot of people do. I am in a hinged brace. My doctor was very adamant about me staying off of my leg. Also reading up on this kind of fracture it is very serious…..Any tips or advance would be greatly appreciated. Also will I get back to running?

• #606 Reply
      Sally

Hi,
      I fell skiing on Feb 26th and ended up with TPF, 5mm depression. It was touch and go on surgery or not, but luckily the bones remained in place, and I’ve been in a brace. Being unable to walk is such a life changer. I live alone so I had to figure out how to do things. Prepare your day in advance for instant exhaustion. Do what you can on your own, but accept help. We had a blizzard right after my fall and I was wondering how on earth I would deal with all that snow and ice. Found someone on Craigslist to shovel, someone else to clean. It helps to find something useful or constructive to do while seated. I sorted and took care of old paperwork issues, also did some creative stuff, but not much. Best to let go of expectations of yourself. It’s OK to watch TV during the day, just get through one more day and you’ll find yourself getting through the weeks. I’m just short of 8 weeks out, back to work teaching tomorrow, starting PWB and PT this week. Nervous about all of it, but so ready for this step ahead. You’ll get there too!

Viewing 21 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #811 in Just diagnosed with tpf
Your information:

Cancel