Knee Allignment

Welcome Forums Community Forum Knee Allignment

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #2347 Reply
    Steve

Hello,

I am about 11 weeks in to tpf recovery, and I am currently on 50% pwb therapy. I recently noticed when looking in a mirror that my leg appear to be misaligned. It looks like my foot is too far to the outside or like my leg is bending on the side (hard to explain). Is this common or something I should be concerned about?

Steve

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #2620 Reply
      Heather

I completely agree and will be discussing with my doctor today at my appt. This is the first tine I have seen him since my therapist and I saw the misalignnent. I am hoping that some of the options you wrote about will be things I can do. I wrote them down to bring in with me, Thank You! I will let you know what he says.

• #2605 Reply
      Lisa

I agree. Knee replacement is a big deal.

Because of the extend of my injuries I will need knee replacement in the future, but my ortho surgeon was very clear that one of her goals was to fix my leg and knee well enough to postpone knee replacement as long as possible (medical science progression and the hope in the future this surgery will be easier and less traumatic).

Because my knee slips out of track all the time in PT, I have been told that this has to do with how weak everything gets during the NWB time of healing. Certain muscles and tendons pull and others are too weak to counter-pull, causing mis-alignment issues.

It is my understanding that no surgical fixes should be considered until muscles strength is back in the leg and knee area to really examine the functionality of the leg completely.

I know after what I have been through and STILL going through the last thing I want is another surgery!

• #2603 Reply
      Christina

Whoa, knee replacement is the only way to correct it?!?! That seems pretty drastic! What about a high tibial osteotomy? Or a knee arthroplasty? Wearing a brace? Doing physio to strengthen the area? Has your therapist mentioned any of these?

• #2600 Reply
      Heather

I take back that it doesnt cause pain. I didnt think it did, but it turns out some of the muscle aches and pains I have been having from therapy are caused by my knee misalignment….according to my therapist anyway. She said its because my muscles are trying to compensate for the misalignnent.

My friends and family say they can the difference from one leg to the next. In other words, its obvious. I go to see my OS tomorrow, first time back since my therapist noticed and I noticed it. My therapist says knee replacement is the only way to correct it and I am not ready to ho there yet!!!!!

• #2597 Reply
      Christina

I’m knock-kneed as well. My physiotherapist was the one who pointed it out and said there was a noticeable shift, which may or may not resolve itself. Functionally, I can use my knee and I’m achingly close to getting full ROM back, so it’s just a matter of strengthening the area and seeing if that helps everything shift back into place.

The OS who I got the second opinion from – he, on the other hand, said the valgus shift was barely noticeable and if he wasn’t told which leg it was, he wouldn’t be able to tell.

So, I’d go with pain being an indicator that something needs checking out.

• #2570 Reply
      Heather

Hi there-
      So I am ll wweks into my recovery, total weight bearing at this point (I did not have surgery). I had a type IV anterior non displaced comminuted tpf, plus a smaller posterior tpf fracture and avulsuon fracture of my acl. I also had severe sprains of my mcl and lcl. I noticed in therapy that my knee joint seemed to tilt inward and said sonething to my therapist. She said I had a valgus knee and that it was because of the way I fell and the injuries I sustained. She said that this was going to be my new normal , it will just be like this going forward. It doesnt cause me pain, it just looks wierd.

• #2352 Reply
      Steve

Overall… Pretty good. I am doing all the exercises that are asked of me with minimal pain and my ROM is up to 124 degrees. I do have minor soreness in different spots that seen to come and go. However, I do have a consistent pain in the front/inside part of the knee. I wonder if this has something to do with my perceived “crookedness”. I was reading about articular depression in the plateau and that is what is worrying me. I hope it does not effect my recovery.

• #2348 Reply
      Lisa

May want to speak to your doctor about that. I know for me, because I suffered a knee dislocation in addition to my TPF, there is always the need to eye-ball the knee because of the ease it can slip out of the correct knee placement…at least until the muscles get strong enough to help keep things aligned.

However, that being said, my doctor explained that there is swelling long after it appears to be healing. This can make body parts seem slightly distorted.

How is the leg functioning? Pain?

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #2597 in Knee Allignment
Your information:

Cancel