PWB 24 days post-surgery

Welcome Forums Community Forum PWB 24 days post-surgery

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #2002 Reply
    Kristine

Just wondering if anyone else was told to start doing a ‘walk-through’ on crutches a few weeks after surgery for a lateral tpf (9mm depression, orif 1 plate, 6 screws, & bone graft). Everything I have read says 6-7 weeks minimum NWB. Brace is now set to 90 degrees flexion but that is it until my follow-up in 4 weeks. Seems conservative on ROM & aggressive on PWB (15 pounds) though I’m happy to progress and very much respect my OS just thought I would ask you guys. Also any idea what the OS is looking for on the films that indicates it is ok to start weight bearing? Thanks so much!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #2900 Reply
      Jihas

Hi Kristine,

Did you start early weight bearing and how did it go? My case is almost same as yours, lateral tpf (11mm depression, orif 1 plate, 6 screws, & bone graft). I am told to be NWB for 10 weeks.

• #2010 Reply
      Kristine

Hi Eileen, thanks for replying! I did see the images while he was looking at them and to be honest there isn’t much to see, the displacement was minimal so it all looks like a normal knee only now with screws and a plate. It was the compression that needed surgery and a bone graft underneath the fixation. At almost 4 weeks maybe the bone graft looks good? Not sure what he sees that says my leg is ready for minimal weight but I will be sure to ask. I did ask what to do if it started to hurt more and his answer was walk less so he is quite confident it is the way to go. Just hard when it is the opposite approach as everyone else!

• #2009 Reply
      Lisa

I had no bone grafting, but my tibia did split vertically down most of the length of my leg, hence why I have been NWB for 3 months now.

I have 3 weeks until I see my doctor again, and I hope to move to weight bearing status.

In a way I wish I had been walking on that walking motion to prepare myself for my next step…no pun intended!

Take care!

• #2008 Reply
      Kristine

Thanks Lisa! It does sound like they have opposite views on post-surgical treatment. And I haven’t really found anything that says much about early weight bearing so I think most everyone agrees with your OS. Apparently 15 pounds should be ok for hardware and it is more to get the leg used to the ‘walking’ motion than actual PWB. Still it makes me nervous!! Did you also have a bone graft? Although we both have tibial plateau fractures, yours sounds much worse! I hope you are recovering well!

• #2006 Reply
      Eileen

Kristine,

Bone mass and cartilage are two important factors. Bone requires 4-6 weeks, I believe. My PT tells me cartilage scars are compressed by weight-bearing. Just my guesses. I hope you ask your OS to show the images and explain the treatment.

Eileen

• #2005 Reply
      Lisa

Hello.

My doc was crystal clear- no weight bearing AT ALL for 12-16 weeks (type 6, 2 plates and 14 screws, plus a major knee dislocation). The tibia plateau is one of the most critical weight bearing points in the body. If bones are not properly healed, the fracture site can easily be compromised.

That being said, the same doctor encouraged ROM work very early.

Seems like your doctor and my doctor have complete opposite views on treatment.

• #2003 Reply
      michelle

Back to hospital to lucky for me no surgery but a hinged brace for 9 weeks so not a bad day.Michelle uk

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #2008 in PWB 24 days post-surgery
Your information:

Cancel