scar tissue

Welcome Forums Community Forum scar tissue

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #6122 Reply
    Sandra

Hi to all,
    I am 6 months down the line from my accident. I was in a full leg cast for 6 wks followed by a hinged cast for 6 wks.I started physiotherapy at 12 wks and despite all my best efforts and pain I am stuck at about 80° ROM. My PT has referred me back to my OS as he says it is scar tissue that is causing the pain and seizing in my knee.
    Has anyone been through forced manipulation and surgery to remove scar tissue as this is now my option.I would appreciate any input from someone who has experienced this procedure as I am a wee bit anxious about it.
    I am willing to do anything to get my life back but would love to hear from someone who has been there and got the t-shirt.
    Very best wishes to you all in recovery,
    Sandra

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #6210 Reply
      Jim M

I had ORIF Tibial Plateau surgery on 10/23/14. 5 screws and a plate was inserted and 7 weeks after surgery I was off crutches and walking gingerly. I always have run and kept in shape so my PT said it was easier for me to come off the crutches as I had strong leg muscles to begin with. Now, I had to have arthroscopic surgery to remove excessive scar tissue as my ROM could not get past 85 degrees. There is discomfort involved after the surgery, but my ROM coming out of surgery was 90 degrees and improving. I did incur an infection in one of the incision sites and this has set me back a bit since I now have to let that heal completely before we can go back to aggressive PT. It’s frustrating, but I would have the surgery again if I had to. Without it, I know I wouldn’t be advancing my ROM. After surgery, ice it often to reduce swelling and keep it elevated as much as you can to reduce the lower leg and foot swelling. I am now 4 weeks past my 2nd surgery and the swelling is gone from the lower part of my leg. Only moderate swelling ia left in the knee joint. Good luck.

• #6143 Reply
      Sandra

Hi,
      I didn’t have surgery as my OS treated me conservatively with a full leg cast for 6wks then a hinged cast for a further 6wks NWB.I was then in a hinged brace for another 6wks PWB and have now been FWB since mid January.
      I have worked really hard to rebuilt my atrophied muscles and that is returning and I can now walk a little bit with 1 crutch, so I am happy with progress on that front.
      The problem I have is that my knee will not budge past 80°. I see my OS on Thursday as my doctor and physiotherapist referred me back to him.My physiotherapist thinks it is scar tissue that is stopping ROM moving on.
      I see on this site that most people have had surgery for a Schatzker II fracture and just wanted to ask if any one had similar treatment and problems with scar tissue stopping ROM.
      Jeremy, I live in Scotland, so I am really thankful for our National Health Service.I have a fantastic physiotherapist and doctor who are in my corner pushing for more to be done to further my ROM.I will find out on Thursday when I see my OS and what he proposes to do.My physiotherapist told me the surgeon can either force my leg to bend under anaesthesia or cut away the scar tissue through keyhole surgery.I will find out more on Thursday.
      I hope you get on well after you see your doctor,I’m sorry I am not much help to you as I don’t have any hardware so cannot compare with your situation.
      This is such a marathon recovery process and at least I feel that I am getting there if ever so SLOWLY.At last I am starting to feel like my old self as I feel stronger everyday and its great having an exercise regime to follow.
      Dipping in and out of this site has kept me sane at times as I could read how other people were struggling with issues and I wasn’t just going nuts.
      All good wishes to everyone,
      Sandra

• #6141 Reply
      Eileen

Sandra,

I don’t know about the scar tissue removal. My mobility was good, but getting the hardware removed eliminated pain and made my knee feel normal again.

You could ask your doctor more questions about your surgery and how it may help you.

Eileen

• #6140 Reply
      jeremy p

Sounds like your going through exactly what I am right now, Im about 5 1/2 months post surgery and am stuck around 70. Although my PT told me there was nothing more he could assist me with and to continue my home exercises, I decided to switch to the VA clinic and two months later I get to finally see a doctor tommorow about it. I had worries it was the hardware they installed that was restricting my knee but given what your OS said I have a feeling I may have the same issue as you. What did your OS say the negatives were with the Surgery?

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #6141 in scar tissue
Your information:

Cancel