Shooting nerve pain

Welcome Forums Community Forum Shooting nerve pain

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #1484 Reply
    Nichole

Has anybody experienced shooting nerve pain beginning on the medial side of the leg when bending? Im recovering from srgery (post-op week 7 for TPF hardware installed)?
    I was doing pretty good with PT attemptng to bend my leg, than when i got home that evening I felt a sudden sharp shooting pain that went all the way up to the inside of my thigh. Now when i engage my muscles to try to bend my knee it keeps happening. It feels like a deep pain. Im afraid the PT did damage! My PT said it cold be normal but I am not sure:(

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #1505 Reply
      JayJay

Hi Nicole, you are not boring me with questions. This is what this site is for to ask questions that will help them in the recovery process because this is a serious injury. I just was not sure where the inscision was. Wow, I feel for you and it could be the hamstring got stretched and acting a little wacky. However, it is a great idea to speak with your physical therapist and hopefully they will be able to work that area. I Wish you the best.

I’ll let you in one something, I was getting heat and pain in my foot because after the surgery it was partially numb. One day, the top of the foot was so itchy, the nerves here healing and now my foot is no longer numb, thank God! Hopefully, that is the case with you, and your hamstring is getting back to normal.

• #1503 Reply
      Nichole

Jay Jay, the pain is only when I am engaging the muscle to both bend and lift my leg at the same time. And yes, it is right over the area where the doctor made an incision and operated and I think right over where the hardware is. The reason he thought it was hamstring is because it is also right where the hamstring muscle attaches to the tibia. Anyway, maybe I cam boring you with these details but I will talk to a different PT tomorrow and I hope to get some answers. I am glad you are getting help from the nurse to be your advocate. Its really important to have someone willing to do that.

• #1499 Reply
      JayJay

Nicole, is your pain in your hamstring? I am assuming you did not have surgery in that area. I was getting pain in my hamstring, but it was a muscle spams – like a pulled muscle. The nerve pain that I have is the area wear my leg is numb. The OS also told me that the numbness will take a while to reside.

Try icing that area and see if that relieves the pain when you bend your knee (could be your sciatica) I find icing my thigh and back helps with some discomfort.

• #1498 Reply
      JayJay

Nicole, I started getting nerve pain about two weeks after. I am 11-wks post op and still get minimal nerve pain, but not as bad as I did early on. After the surgery the OS did tell me I was going to experience the nerve pain, but thank the good Lord the home health nurse talk to my doctor in getting my some nerve medication. I am assuming the nerve pain will probably continue until we get full feeling back. It is nice to have someone to rub my leg/foot which seems to help when i dont want to take the meds. In the beginjng, i was getting major heat and pain in my foot/leg, but the heat issue has resolved early on. Hang in there. I know it can be frustrating and frightening, but it will pass.

Another situtation I was getting was major muscle spams and I was concern that was going to lead to a charlie horse and thought that would be bad because I am NWB for 3-months. Fortunately, when I left the hospital I was prescribed medication for muscle spams

• #1495 Reply
      Nichole

I saw my OS yesterday and he seems a bit ambivalent, saying it might be a hamstring pull. No way! It feels like someone is stabbing by leg when i bend it. A new symptom.

• #1494 Reply
      Nichole

Thanks JayJay for responding! I could understand how this might be normal for the first couple weeks following surgery, but did your doctor say it was normal many weeks after and even after good progression? I feel like I am back where I started with limitation of bending. How many weeks post-op were you when you begun having nerve pain?

• #1485 Reply
      JayJay

Nicole, it is common to feel nerve pain at least I have and what I have read. My OS did tell me that I was going to feel nerve pain. Fortunately, the home health nurse talked to my doctor and they prescribe medication for the nerve pain. I have not taken the medication for over 3 weeks, have not felt nerve pain since. Hang in tthere. Typically. With this type of surgery the muscle and nerves have to be stretched so the OS can do the repair. I would recommend speaking to you OS.

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #1503 in Shooting nerve pain
Your information:

Cancel