Sleeping

Welcome Forums Community Forum Sleeping

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #2807 Reply
    mari

After tpf can i sleep on my side durning recovery?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #3766 Reply
      Sue H

Kevin,I know just what you mean. My tpf happened on Sept 17th and I’m only recently getting more comfortable in bed. I sleep with my brace on so I don’t accidentally twist my knee but it’s getting stronger as I walk more and I’m looking forward to being able to move more easily in bed. I also have discomfort behind my knee – presumably the hardware! My advice is to just stay with it – sleeping does get easier.
      Best wishes, Sue

• #3743 Reply
      marion gibbins

All I have read ,quite alot with all the time on my hands!,and after speaking to doctors confirms the above pain is there because of your injury and will be relieved by medication and it is highly unlikely in these circumstances to be addictive BUT there have been very small cases of withdrawal symptoms

• #3689 Reply
      Lisa

Hi, Kevin.

I was told, not long after my TPF, that research suggests that if you truly need medications, you at not at great risk of addiction. The thing is, you must use them only as directed and no more than that. Talk to your doctor if the concern is a valid concern (such as you or a family history of addictions).

TPFs are significant injuries. Being chronically tired and uncomfortable does you nor anyone else any good. The duration and extent of healing and rehabbing from a TPF will make you re-think some thoughts on issues like medications, asking for help, how far to push yourself, etc.

• #3687 Reply
      Kevin

My TPF occurred on 10/12/14. I have since been thru surgery and now am coming up on a month recovering. Sleeping is something I miss dearly. I do not want to depend on the meds that have been perscribed, because I am not in pain. I am uncomfortable. I have tried the over the counter products such as Zquil and Aleve PM, but they only seem to last for a couple hours at best. When I take the meds, I can count on at least 5 good hrs. I do use a pillow to prop my leg and find my self tossing and turning constantly. I do not want to rely on these meds and build an addiction to them. Any advice is welcome.

• #3586 Reply
      Eileen

Lisa,

I am sorry I did not see your post until today. Yes, if you are badly injured, you will need to rest a lot. However, I hope you contact your medical professionals to discuss your concerns.

Mend well,

Eileen

• #3485 Reply
      Lisa

Hello i have a fractured lateral tibea i see surgeon Thursday my toes feel funny also bottom of foot i slept and fell couple weeks ago and sprain my ankle and i knew i hurt my knee went to hospital then my rheumatologist sent for MRI she also did ultrasound pulled out 2 syringes of blood. .im extremely tired all the time again i don’t see surgeon till Thursday. Is it normal to be this tired .thanks

• #3435 Reply
      Sue H

My surgery was on 22nd September 2014 and for a while afterwards, whilst I had a full leg cast, I slept reasonably well. However, once the cast was removed 3 weeks later and replaced with a leg brace, sleeping has become more and more difficult. I don’t have to sleep in the brace, but my knee is uncomfortable whether I do or not. I use a pillow under the leg, I try resting on my back or on my side, but I simply cannot get comfortable. It feels like there is something sticking into the back of the knee – the screws and plate I suppose. I am so tired that I do fall asleep for a while but not for long enough! Although I’m trying to focus on one day at a time, this non-sleeping is getting me down and I wonder whether it’s going to be a long-term issue. I see my consultant this coming Friday so I will speak to him then, but I wonder whether anyone has this experience too? I’m 61, and although perfectly healthy until this injury which was also my first fracture ever, I wonder whether eventual removal of hardware is an option. I rather like the idea of my older bones being safely held together! Any words of wisdom and experience?

• #2897 Reply
      Jo H

I slept on my side all through my recovery, a good tip is to use pillows to rest your knee on. I also used a bean bag in bed to elevate my leg if the swelling was uncomfortable. Good luck.

• #2808 Reply
      Lisa

Hi.

I could not for three weeks post injury. On my first doctor’s visit post hospital discharge I asked about this and was given the OK to do so. She stated she put so much metal in me (2 plates and 14 screws) that the bones were not going to shift with sleeping.

However, I don’t know about you TPF details. Therefore, I would suggest you speaking to your doctor. TPFs are so individualistic that everyone and their needs are different. The treatment course for one can be different for the treatment course of another.

Viewing 8 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #2808 in Sleeping
Your information:

Cancel