Three weeks post surgery

Welcome Forums Community Forum Three weeks post surgery

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #4647 Reply
    Lucy

I have a tpf following a skiing injury on 15th December. I had not been skiing for 9 years and managed to have the accident on the first day of the holiday. Now that the trauma is over I am accepting what has happened and will be seeing my new OS in the next few days (my surgeon was at a Grenoble hospital so I can’t really continue seeing him). Adjusting to life without being able to walk (albeit temporary) has been both difficult and eye opening. I hope to be a nicer person by the time I have completed my recovery. Any tips on dealing with the ongoing day after day nuisance of dependency would be appreciated. I’m generally handling it pretty well now as anything feels better than those first few days of shock and horror; being separated from my family (I have three children including a baby) and accepting that the holiday I had planned so long was going to be a life lesson rather than any fun. Still, it’s early days so if there are tips for keeping positive I will lap those up as well. All the stories and advice have been so welcome, thanks for this site.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #4687 Reply
      Eileen

Lucy,

Although my medical providers informed me that by definition a severe joint trauma is arthritis, some orthopedic surgeons specialize in advanced techniques, such as meniscus repair, that may help improve joint function and minimize further bone and soft-tissue deterioration.

I hope you are mending well.

Eileen

• #4664 Reply
      Lucy

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. And congratulations on getting so far with your respective recoveries. I love the phrase ‘unexpected blessings’ and will continue to appreciate and, hopefully, encounter more of these. Even the small kindnesses of the nurses in the hospital, or someone giving me a warm smile when I was waiting to go in for surgery. I hope I never forget how important these little things were.
      Considering each day at a time is also such great advice; it helps me to be positive but without pressure. People are so kind but they do tend to jump to the question ‘when will you be fully recovered’ which I find tiring just thinking about. I will take comfort in knowing that one day, I will be, but for now I don’t need to worry about exactly when. It is such a long haul, but I feel fortunate that for me – this situation is temporary. I hope I will be able to give others good advice in the months to come. The site has also prepared me for the pace of the recovery….walking with a limp for a while, it taking up to a year (or more) to return to all previous activities. And of course the possibility of arthritis which I shall have to make my peace with. But just reading how others have dealt with and accepted these things instantly gives me strength. Will I ski again though? hmmm….not something I need to decide or worry about today! Thanks again Sue and Eileen. Good luck to you too.

• #4661 Reply
      Sue H

I agree, Eileen. Some of those blessings ate the kindness shown by unexpected friends and also the gratitude I now have for my regained health, mobility and independence. I hope I have learned patience and acceptance. I have become aware of the fragility of health and hence of life itself so I value now what I have.
      My advice, Lucy, is to take each day as it comes, to try not to look too far ahead but to know that there is an end to all this frustration and feelings of helplessness and your turn to post that you are allowed to start weightbearing WILL come, as it did for us. You are much younger than me (I am 61) so will heal faster I think. Good luck.

• #4657 Reply
      Eileen

Lucy,

You sound as though you already have a very good attitude. Six months after my initial injury, I am still struggling to get my full activity level back. However, the journey has changed me, my relationships, and most of all my faith. It is very hard at first, but keep looking for the unexpected blessings.

Eileen

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #4687 in Three weeks post surgery
Your information:

Cancel