Urgent recovery questions

Welcome Forums Community Forum Urgent recovery questions

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #641 Reply
    Brandon

I had surgery on my TPf. They made approximately 6 inch incision and added 2 steel fasteners and about a dozen screws. I had surgery about three weeks ago. I am concerned because I can’t get into physical therapy for another eight days. I am working my leg myself and can bend it great. I can then the way to at least 90 degrees. But I can’t completely straighten my leg yet. So my questions are about the physical therapy and will a month from surgery be too long to start. I am concerned about my leg not regaining the necessary range of motion. My most serious question is regarding my concern about not being able to straighten my knee. I can almost completely straighten it but not 100%. I still have some swelling and numbness. I also have a lot of muscle pain in the calf area. My injury came from 65 mile-per-hour wreck on a motorcycle. I am looking for any advice from someone who has been through a similar injury. I am doing a lot of exercises and feel good about my range of motion on everything except straightening my leg.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
    • #653 Reply
      Brandon

Thank you so much for your help, it makes me feel better about where I’m at in my recovery. Thank you for sharing your experience and the website.

• #652 Reply
      Kate_P

Hi Brandon,

My injury was very similar to yours, and I am amazed that you are bending your knee 90 degrees at three weeks out. I was not allowed to bend my leg at all for a month! PT normally starts when you begin PWB (partial weight bearing)and ROM is one of the first goals. Don’t worry, you’ll get pretty close to full ROM back, how soon depends on how hard you’re willing to work at it. Everything you’re feeling is typical, but I get the impression you are in a hurry to get back on your feet. A TPF typically takes months to heal, and if you do too much too soon you can set yourself back. Now the calf pain: if it’s just muscle pain, don’t worry. If you are feeling extreme pain, or if the skin in the area is hot, call your doctor. If you are looking for quick answers or to share experiences, try going to mybrokenleg.com. There are many TPFers on that board.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Reply #653 in Urgent recovery questions
Your information:

Cancel