Baby steps

Welcome Forums Community Forum Baby steps

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #651 Reply
    Chris Hyam

It’s 6 weeks since my accident just stepping badly down a stair .my tpf hospitalised me for 8 days was out of hospital in a brace two days after op with very little information ,wish I knew about this forum would have been a great help .I am 58years old and making good progress I made sure that I was going to approach this situation with a positive attitude and so far so good .Innthe first few weeks I relied in a walking frame but can now get up and down stairs unaided with crutches .I set myself small tasks every day and like a young child delighted in my achievments . I can now walk around a department store on my crutches with strangers asking me about my situation and congratulating me on my progress .Today I had my first shower not using a chair and was able to walk a few steps unaided ,but being very careful not to overdo things .I am hoping the brace will be off on Friday a reason to celebrate .The surgeon spent four hours on my knee now it’s up to me to me to continue the good work.My advice to any ladies in a similar position get your makeup on ,get out and enjoy the attention it certainly is helping my recovery !

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • #654 Reply
      dottie

Wow 6 weeks!!!!! Me I fell on 12/15/14 had first surgery 12/16/13 and second one 1/17/14. I was non weight barring until 4/11/14. I felt my recovery was in slow motion until I started weight barring. Now there seems to be daily progress for the most part. I can now do stairs upright not by scooting on my back side up the stairs. I can stand and wash dishes, load my own laundry and transfer to the dryer. I walk with a walker most of the time but am slowly progressing to a tri-pod cane. Emotionally I’m still on a roller coaster because this injury has majorly in packed on my life style. I fret as to whether I’ll ever walk unassisted, ride my bike or be able to go camping/fishing with my grand children. At times I feel like my life totally sucks and I get quite down. Then with a lot of self talk I move forward….that’s basically my life these days.

Viewing 0 reply threads
Reply To: Baby steps
Your information: